View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

CITY OF ST. CLOUD

DEVELOPMENT REVIEW COMMITTEE MINUTES

 

DATE OF MEETING:      February 10, 2005

 

LOCATION:                   1300 9th Street - 1st Floor – DRC Conference Room; St. Cloud

 

CALL TO ORDER:         2:00 P.M.

 

CHAIRMAN:                  David Nearing, Planning/Zoning Director

 

SECRETARY:               Marty Hobbs, Development Officer

 

MEMBERS PRESENT:

Dave Nearing                 Todd Swingle                 Mark Luthie                   Brett Dunn

Dave Ennis                    John Groenendaal          Ron Trowell                   Angelo Perri

Veronica Witol               Sue Boblett

 

NEW BUSINESS:

 

1.         The consent agenda of February 10, 2005 was approved as submitted.

 

 

2.         Case # 05-1.13 – St. Cloud Heritage Museum

                                                1012 Massachusetts Avenue

                                                Special Event (Major)

 

Mr. Tom Hurt, Assistant City Manager was present to represent the application. He briefly explained the plan to turn the Women’s Club into a museum and noted that this would be the grand opening event for the museum.  He went on to note that the barricades had been moved South of Moor’s Market and to the South of Fisk Funeral Home.  He explained that there should be minimal effects to any other businesses and that the streets would be open again by 11:45 A.M.  Mr. Hurt then noted that the City’s barricades would be needed to close the street.

 

Mr. Luthie noted that Mr. Hurt would need to contact Daryl in the Streets Department to request the barricades.

 

Mr. Hurt noted that approximately fourteen (14) barricades would be needed and that he would see that they got put out. 

 

Mr. Luthie asked if Mr. Hurt wanted them dropped off behind the building.

 

Mr. Hurt noted that would be fine.  He asked that they be delivered on Friday and noted that they could be placed inside the building if necessary.  He noted that the whole event shouldn’t last for more than an hour or so.

 

BUILDING DEPARTMENT

INFORMATION:

1.         No comments.

 

PUBLIC WORKS

CONDITIONS:

1.         No comment.    

 

LINES DIVISION

RECOMMENDATIONS:

1.         No comment.

 

FIRE DEPARTMENT

CONDITIONS:

1.         All fire protection equipment; building exits and other safety features shall remain accessible.

2.         All seating arrangements and occupancy shall conform to The Florida Fire Prevention Code.

Page 2, DRC Minutes – 02/10/05

 

 

3.         The temporary blocking of the intersections will effect the tactical operations of the fire rescue department by causing a delay in response.  In view of the positive community-wide effects expected from this event and the fire rescue department’s close proximity to the area, the fire rescue department will temporarily augment its standard response to negate the obstacles presented by this special event.

4.         Blocking of intersections shall be done using removable barricades and manned when possible.

 

OUC (ELECTRIC UTILITY)

CONDITIONS:

1.         If temporary power is needed please contact OUC Customer Service at (407) 957-7373.

 

POLICE DEPARTMENT

CONDITIONS:

1.                   Must use DOT Approved Barricades to block intersections. 

2.                   Notification to Moors Market of east side driveway being blocked.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

3.         Approved with conditions.

 

PLANNING

CONDITIONS:

1.         All residents/business owners along the proposed street closure route shall be notified, in writing, at least ten days prior to the event.

INFORMATION:

2.                   As a DRC approved special Event, the applicant is authorized to utilize off-site signage to advertise and/or direct traffic for the event.  Please be advised that all signage must be placed so as to prevent visual obstruction to both pedestrian and vehicular traffic, must be free standing and may be utilized beginning one week prior to the event.  All signage must be removed the day following the final day of the event.

 

PARKS & RECREATION

CONDITIONS:

1.                   We have one mobile bleacher.  We will have to have the street blocked off by 8:00am so we can set up the bleacher.  We will have the bleacher on site around 8:30am-8:45am to set up that morning.  We will have to drive in from 10th street side so the bleacher will face West.

2.                   Where do you want the sound system set up at?

3.                   Do you need our big system or the small system like we used down Lakeshore’s Ground Breaking?

4.                   I need someone on site around 8:30am Saturday morning to show my staff exactly where you want everything set up.

 

FINDING:

The DRC approved the special event as requested.

 

 

 

3.         Case #5-1.14 – St. Patrick’s Day Parade

                                                Downtown St. Cloud

                                                Special Event (Major)

 

Ms. Teresa O’Doherty was present to represent the application.

 

BUILDING DEPARTMENT

INFORMATION:

1.         No comments.

 

PUBLIC WORKS

CONDITIONS:

  1. The Penn. Ave. route may be under construction beginning in February or early March.  We do not have a definitive schedule at this time.  However we caution the applicant to propose an alternate route in the

 

Page 3, DRC Minutes – 02/10/05

 

 

event that Penn. Ave. is under construction.  We will keep the applicant informed of the construction schedule when we know more.        

 

Ms. O’Doherty noted that she had developed an alternative route that she actually liked better and it should take care of the problems expressed by staff.  She noted that the parking lot east of City Hall was going to be needed.

 

The proposed new route was discussed.

 

Ms. O’Doherty noted that there were currently fourteen (14) floats signed up and that she expected it to grow next year.

 

Fire Marshall Ennis noted that he had a problem with the proposed route because it blocked accesses from the Fire Department.

 

Ms. O’Doherty also noted that the date was going to change to the 19th.

 

The proposed alternate route was briefly reviewed.

 

Fire Marshall Ennis noted that he couldn’t provide approval today but he would discuss it with Chief Lewis. He then noted that since it would only last one hour it shouldn’t be an issue.

 

Mr. Nearing noted that with so many changes, it appeared that the case needed to be continued.

 

LINES DIVISION

RECOMMENDATIONS:

1.         No comment.

 

FIRE DEPARTMENT

CONDITIONS:

1.         The temporary blocking of the intersections will effect the tactical operations of the fire rescue department by causing a delay in response.  In view of the positive community-wide effects expected from this event and the fire rescue department’s close proximity to the area, the fire rescue department will temporarily augment its standard response to negate the obstacles presented by this special event.

2.         Blocking of intersections shall be done using removable barricades and manned when possible. 12th street and New York shall be manned at all times.

3.         All fire protection equipment; building exits and other safety features shall remain accessible.

 

OUC (ELECTRIC UTILITY)

INFORMATION:

1.         No comment.

 

POLICE DEPARTMENT

CONDITIONS:

1.                   Special Event Application is incomplete and/or inaccurate.  Must resubmit with following information

·         Alcohol Sales or Service is checked NO but attached paper indicates a beer truck for beer garden.

 

Ms. O’Doherty explained other changes to the original plans for the event including plans for a beer garden to be operated after the parade and the fact that she wanted to street to remain closed after the parade as well.

 

Mr. Nearing noted that with so many changes to that which was indicated on the application, the applicant needed to submit a narrative outlining all the detail of the new plan and how they differed from the original request.

·         Duration of event is listed at 11/2 hours but attached paper requested blocking New York Ave at 10th. St. AFTER parade.

 

 

Page 4, DRC Minutes – 02/10/05

 

 

·         Application states that Parade Route will be covered by Volunteers; it is required in the downtown area from 9th. St. to 12th. St. and back to use DOT Approved Barricades at each intersection.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

2.                   Re-submit application with proper outline of events including entertainment, food, alcohol sales and facilities being used. 

3.                   Contact area businesses that would be affected by blocking off New York Ave.  Receive permission if needed to use VFW parking lot.

4.                   Prepare for alcohol use to be in a restricted contained area that is monitored.

INFORMATION:

5.         Depending on type and size of event a police officer may be needed.

 

PLANNING

CONDITIONS:

1.         All residents/business owners along the proposed parade route must be notified of the street closures a minimum of ten days prior to the event.

INFORMATION:

2.         As a DRC approved special Event, the applicant is authorized to utilize off-site signage to advertise and/or direct traffic for the event.  Please be advised that all signage must be placed so as to prevent visual obstruction to both pedestrian and vehicular traffic, must be free standing and may be utilized beginning one week prior to the event.  All signage must be removed the day following the final day of the event.

 

PARKS & RECREATION

CONDITIONS:

1.                   I have no conditions since they did not request anything from us.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

2.                   Lakeshore Boat Basin Parking lot will be closed due to construction.

 

FINDING:

The applicant will submit a narrative describing changes from the original application and the case will be continued to the February 24, 2005 DRC meeting for action.

 

 

 

 

4.         Case #5-1.15 – Community & Business Extravaganza

                                                Civic Center

                                                Special Event (Major)

 

Mr. David Lane, Ms. Lori English, and Mr. Carl Theobald were present to represent the application.

 

Mr. Nearing advised the applicants that the event dates would be the same as those for the St. Patrick’s Day parade.

 

Fire Marshall Ennis advised the applicants that the light trailer would be delivered on Friday night.

 

BUILDING DEPARTMENT

CONDITIONS:

1.         Temporary electrical wiring shall comply with the National Electrical Code (NEC) 2002 Articles 525 and 527. Note: Temporary wiring shall be ground-fault protected. Multi-conductor cord shall originate in an approved power outlet or panelboard and be of the type identified in Table 400-4 for hard usage or extra hard usage. Receptacles shall be the grounding type. Lamps shall be protected from accidental contact or breakage. Electrical cords shall be protected from damage and shall be placed so as to prevent trip hazards.  When receptacles are installed on flexible cords/cables and exposed to weather or in wet locations, they shall be in a weatherproof enclosure.

 

 

Page 5, DRC Minutes – 02/10/05

 

 

2.         If tents over 300 sq. ft. are used they shall comply with the Florida Building Code (FBC) 2001Section 3103.1 and Section 1019.5. Certification of flame resistance shall be filed with the building department prior to a permit being issued.

3.         Tent exits, aisles, seating, etc. shall conform to assembly occupancy. All exits shall be kept free of obstructions while tent is occupied by the public.

 

PUBLIC WORKS

CONDITIONS:

1.         No comment.    

 

LINES DIVISION

RECOMMENDATIONS:

1.         No comment.

 

FIRE DEPARTMENT

CONDITIONS:

1.         All seating arrangements and occupancy shall conform to The Florida Fire Prevention Code.

2.         Provide the Fire Rescue Department a copy of the floor plan for approval.

3.         All fire protection equipment; building exits and other safety features shall remain accessible.

4.         All vendors with cooking facilities shall have approved fire protection equipment.

INFORMATION:

5.         The light trailer should be available, what time can it be picked up?

 

OUC (ELECTRIC UTILITY)

INFORMATION:

1.         No comment.

 

POLICE DEPARTMENT

CONDITIONS:

1.         None

RECOMMENDATIONS:

2.         Approved

INFORMATION:

3.         Need to know duration and time an officer is needed for each day of event for traffic control.

 

Mr. Lane briefly explained the events planned for the 18th.  He noted that there should be about 1,000 people in attendance and that he did not anticipate any traffic issue.  He noted that there would be parking in the OUC parking lot as well as the Civic Center.

 

Mr. Nearing advised Mr. Lane to contact Mr. Gearhart to find out if the school’s lease includes the parking lot.  He noted that if it did, they would need to authorize the Chamber’s use of it.

 

Mr. Lane noted that he did have some traffic concerns relating to the events of the 19th.  He noted that he saw a potential problem at the intersection of 17th and Budinger.  He then noted that he had received permission from the Doctor’s office across the street to use their parking lot that evening and he was concerned about pedestrian crossing issues and thought that some assistance might be needed.

 

The use of Steve Johnson’s property for overflow parking was briefly discussed with Mr. Nearing noting that it might require some stabilization.

 

Mr. Lane noted that he thought the City would be willing to do that.

 

Mr. Luthie requested that Mr. Lane meet him at the site and he would look at it see if it was something the City could handle.

 

Mr. Theobald asked if the City’s vehicles could be parked elsewhere.

 

 

Page 6, DRC Minutes – 02/10/05

 

 

Mr. Hurt noted that he wasn’t sure there was another location for the City vehicles to park.  He further noted that they might be able to use the ball field area and he would look into it.

 

Mr. Theobald noted that there were three (3) dumpsters in the center area where the food will be and noted that they would need to be relocated.

 

PLANNING

INFORMATION:

1.                   The application package indicates acknowledgment and compliance with all requirements of the Planning Department.  Therefore, we have no additional conditions.

2.                   As a DRC approved special Event, the applicant is authorized to utilize off-site signage to advertise and/or direct traffic for the event.  Please be advised that all signage must be placed so as to prevent visual obstruction to both pedestrian and vehicular traffic, must be free standing and may be utilized beginning one week prior to the event.  All signage must be removed the day following the final day of the event.

3.                   On February 3, 2005 a letter was submitted requesting approval for an additional event to be sponsored by the St. Cloud Pavement Pounders on March 20th.  The original application indicates dates for the event to be March 18th & 19th.  Which dates are correct?

 

Mr. Lane noted this was an error and that the 5-K race was scheduled for March 20th

 

4.         Since the letter submitted by the Chamber of Commerce on February 3rd indicates that the 5-K run is an event sponsored by “St. Cloud Pavement Pounders”, that entity needs to submit a separate application, including review fees and insurance coverage meeting the requirements of Risk Management, etc.

 

Mr. Lane explained that they were being considered one of the event sponsors and would be covered under the extended umbrella of the Chamber’s insurance.  He then gave a brief over view of the event noting that it had been expanded from a simple Business Expo to be a full community event.

 

PARKS & RECREATION

CONDITIONS:

1.                   We will bring the tables & chairs out of storage for you to set up.  Tell me where you want them.

2.                   We only have a total of (54) 6’ tables.  (7) Of them has some paint on them & (9) are not in good of shape.

3.                   Do you have a lay-out for this event?  If so, I would like a copy.

4.                   Where do you want trash cans?  Inside the buildings or outside?  If used inside then how many in each Building?

5.                   Where do you want the (4) tents set up at?  I would like to have a representative on site when we set up the tents.

6.                   Where in Building “B” do you want us to set up the Sound System?

7.                   We have enough round tables for you.

8.                   We may start setting up as early as Wednesday March 16th.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

9.                   I would like to meet with someone one week prior to event.  March 10th at 10:00am?

INFORMATION:

10.               If you have any questions or changes please call Tommy at 407-908-8072

 

Mr. Lane noted that there was an internal layout available and that he would submit it right away.

 

Mr. Lane advised Mr. Howse that he would be able to meet with him as requested on March 10th at 10:00 a.m.

 

The sound system in building B was discussed.

 

Use of the stage was discussed with Mr. Howes noting that the OPO had already spoken for everything that Parks & Recreation has.

 

The power needs in the center were briefly discussed.

 

Page 7, DRC Minutes – 02/10/05

 

 

Mr. Howes recommended that Mr. Lane contact Pete Jones in Building Maintenance to discuss any special electrical needs.

 

Mr. Lane noted that he had already had a discussion with Mr. Jones and that he was just waiting to see what was approved.

 

Mr. Howes noted that he didn’t see any problems but he needed to discuss it with Leroy to see how all the needs could be met.

 

Fire Marshall Ennis noted that he did not want to see cords stretched across anything.

 

Mr. Lane again briefly described some of the events planned.

 

Ms. English gave a brief overview of the OPO events and needs.

 

Use of the senior center parking lot was discussed with Mr. Nearing noting that it would need to be coordinated with the seniors.  He recommended that Tom Hurt be consulted first.

 

 

 

 

 

5.         Case # 05-24.01 – Jowers Townhomes

                                                Michigan Avenue

                                                PUD Amendment

 

There was no one present to represent the application.

 

BUILDING DEPARTMENT

INFORMATION:

1.         No comments.

 

PUBLIC WORKS

CONDITIONS:

1.         Please submit a narrative which describes the details of the PUD amendment request.  The application does not contain any information.

 

LINES DIVISION

CONDITIONS:

1.         No comment.

 

FIRE DEPARTMENT

INFORMATION:

1.         Due to the limited information the Fire Rescue Department can not comment on this submittal.

 

OUC (ELECTRIC UTILITY)

INFORMATION:

1.         No comment.

 

POLICE DEPARTMENT

CONDITIONS:

1.         None    

RECOMMENDATIONS:

2.         Approved

 

PLANNING

CONDITIONS:

1.         Provide a letter from the School Board that they will waive their rights to utilize the property.

Page 8, DRC Minutes – 02/10/05

 

 

2.         Staff will not be supporting the elimination of the school site for housing. The staff will support the conversion of the land to recreational park for the citizens of Southern Pines.

3.         Provide a narrative on the townhouse project with design criteria.

4.         Of the 9.99 ac for townhomes how much is wetland and how much is within the 100 year flood plain.

5.         Will this townhome project cause the 799 home threshold to be exceeded.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

6.         Recommend tabling this item until more information is available.

INFORMATION:

7.                   Revised plans must be submitted within sixty (60) days of this review.  Revised plans submitted after the allotted time frame will require a new application including payment of additional fees.

8.                   All submitted plans must be folded at the time of submittal.  Rolled plans will not be accepted.

9.         Applicant shall confer with Osceola County regarding access, right of way permits and concurrency prior to Final Site Plan approval for any development application that impacts a County Road.

 

There was no discussion regarding this case.

 

FINDING:

The case will be rescheduled for review at a later date.

 

 

 

 

6.         Case #05-25.01 – Friar’s Cove Outparcel

                                                NW of Friar’s Cove Road

                                                Annexation/LUA/Zoning

 

Mr. John Kidd was present to represent the application.

 

Mr. Nearing asked if this was that property known as the “Deer Creek” sliver and Mr. Groenendaal noted that it was.  He noted that he now had a legal description and would include it with the other annexation.

 

BUILDING DEPARTMENT

INFORMATION:

1.         No comments.

 

PUBLIC WORKS

CONDITIONS:

1.         No comment.    

 

LINES DIVISION

CONDITIONS:

1.         No comment.

 

FIRE DEPARTMENT

INFORMATION:

1.         Approval of this case will not cause an adverse affect on fire rescue department operations.

OUC (ELECTRIC UTILITY)

INFORMATION:

1.         No comment.

 

POLICE DEPARTMENT

CONDITIONS:

1.         None

RECOMMENDATIONS:

2.         Approved

 

 

Page 9, DRC Minutes – 02/10/05

 

 

PLANNING

CONDITIONS:

1.         No conditions.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

2.         Recommend the proposed future land use of LDR and R-1B zone.

INFORMATION:

3.                   Revised plans must be submitted within sixty (60) days of this review.  Revised plans submitted after the allotted time frame will require a new application including payment of additional fees.

4.                   All submitted plans must be folded at the time of submittal.  Rolled plans will not be accepted.

5.         Applicant shall confer with Osceola County regarding access, right of way permits and concurrency prior to Final Site Plan approval for any development application that impacts a County Road.

 

Mr. Kidd explained that this was being incorporated into the Friar’s Cove subdivision to make it a better design.

 

Mr. Groenendaal asked if Mr. Kidd planned to revise the PSP.

 

Mr. Kidd noted that the PSP would be revised but that Mr. Nearing had told him it could be processed as a minor revision.

 

FINDING:

The DRC recommended approval of the annexation, land use and zoning as requested. The case will be moved forward to the Planning Board and City Council for review and approval.

 

ADJOURNMENT:           The meeting was adjourned at 3:00 p.m.